No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi 2040,

My wife certainly doesn't understand it but she hasn't really looked at it much :) I think you mean I may not understand it.

I think it is harder for you to get the correct information because you are on the outside. I would dig deeper to see if there are other options. Does your state provide teachers with a pension? If so that is who I would talk to.

In our state, my wife's retirement pension is ran by a state agency. My wife kept telling me that they only had certain companies that were approved in the 403b. I went to the state agency that runs her retirement fund and they told me about other investment firms like Fidelity, that I could move her money into. That allowed me to pick funds and indexes that were cheaper.

It is to important 2040 to not just let this go. Most of the Annuity companies will not inform you of all your options. They get a commission for every member they sign up and they can be very aggressive. Another place you may go to ask questions is if your wife has a union. They may answer these questions. Also, if they really only have annuities maybe they can ask why and get the ball rolling to get better investing options.

Andy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement