No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi 2040,
You really need to look into your wife's 403b plan. It might be that she really does not understand it.

First my wife is a teacher also. The problem with teachers are that they have a lot of companies that come onto the campus to push annuities. They try to make it look like that is the teachers only option. But in truth it might be possible for you to move her money to another firm like fidelity. This will allow you to invest her money into index funds instead of annuities. Most teachers do not know about this option because of how hard the companies that come onto campus push the annuities.

By investing more of your wife's money into her 403b it can lower your tax basis. But if it really is true that all she can invest in is annuities (something I find it hard to believe) I think I would invest her money into index's outside the 403b. Annuities, especially at your age, are a bad idea in my opinion.

Andy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement