Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: valu3buff One star, 50 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 102  
Subject: Re: BID: Sotheby an interesting rec, but . . . ? Date: 6/6/2008 12:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi AESpot,

This is what I remember from the TMF recommendation, the Economist article and the balance sheet:

1) I'm not sure the article said who were the types doing bidding now, but like the recommendation, the Economist did attribute future optimism in the company to the emerging wealth from oil in Russia and the Middle East, as well as CHina for other reasons. Sotheby's is an attractive place for these people to put their new money because of its strong reputation as a market for Western goods.

2) Yes, while Sotheby's does face a risk from guarantees, the fact that they have had such a long history in this market means that it is more likely for Sotheby's to have an accurate value for a particular item while the potential buyers are incorrect than vice versa. Furthermore, since Sotheby's is able to mark down the value of a good that does not meet the guaranteed price to the highest bid, when the market corrects itself and Sotheby's is able to sell the good for its new price (which hopefully is higher and what it expected), it would improve its balance sheet. Which I believe is already very solid.

3) I believe they said in a conference call that Q1 is also the slowest quarter anyway. I don't know what "single-owner" sales have to do with anything, but your idea that it involves cash-strapped or otherwise disadvantaged parties sounds good to me.

Authentication: It sounds to me that you think the increasing difficulty in authenticated items is a disadvantage, while TMF (and I, fwiw) think it to Sotheby's great advantage. As one of the two most reputable brands in the world, isn't it easier for them to pass the costs along to their customers, i.e. "Sotheby's says so - it must be real", while at the same time making their services more valuable?

If I had cash set aside for opportunistic buys I would have jumped on this already (along with half a dozen others), not only for the reasons above but also because I like investing in American companies that are well poised to exploit overseas growth. Sotheby's sure seems to fit that definition - since when have rich folks not wanted to show off for each other?

valu3buff
hoping to be one of those rich folks, but on my sailboat in the South Pacific, not betting on vases.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement