Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi again,

I'm not sure I understand why you would want to take the money out of his Roth, just because he won't be having US income for a few years. As long as your son plans to work again in the US, why not just let the money sit until he can contribute again?

In the meantime, since he'll be living outside of the US, he has a few investment possibilities (offshore) open to him that he didn't have when he was a US resident. If he's only going to be outside the US for a couple of years, it may not be worth the hassle of setting them up, but for the long term, they may show a return comparable to a US IRA.

One financial company I've been really happy with here is based in Tokyo. You can check out their website at:

Or your son can call:


The advisors at Banner can at least give your son an overview of his investment options while an expat!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.