UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5550  
Subject: Re: Any feedback for Ashoka? Date: 12/20/2000 5:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi again Selena... sorry for butting in again, but I think I'm trying to chime in as much as possible to get every 2¢ worth per post!

But, seriously: I should point out that I have only been able to make a modest contribution via Foolanthropy, but this is my first every contribution via TMF, and the target charity was Ashoka. Two reasons why: 1) I believe in it's mission from the site and articles I saw and 2) I noticed the glaring difference in contributions to date, Ashoka sadly lagging far behind.

I think there are a few possible simple reasons:
- Ashoka is possibly the least well-known of all the charities on the list.
- The concept is seemingly too radical to what most people think of what an international charity should endeavor to do; it's too "weird" and people don't understand how their individual donation will be applied directly.
- Lastly, but not insignificantly, using terms like "social entrepreneur" and "world-changing ideas" sound too vague and kinda off-putting. Those terms don't have the same 'charm' as "ending hunger," "making the poor self-sufficient," lifting the poor out of poverty," and "Saving lives by bringing clean water to developing nations."

It's perhaps ironic that most (if not all) of the other charitable organizations could have been started based on Ashoka's principles... Ashoka sounds like it could be a precedent of all the other charities, at some stage, but it's unclear to most people exactly what it does or how it can help.

Dunno... if anything, that's my 2¢ worth to Foolanthropy, via TMF.

$IQ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Heads Up, Real Estate Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement