Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,
I'm just reading Greenblatt's book and am interested in trying out its strategies, but I'm having allittle trouble with understanding how leverage helps with returns. I understand that If a company takes on alot of debt, and uses that debt to fund its business, its returns are leveraged in the same way mine are when I buy on margin. However, if I understand what going on correctly in the spinoff situations, the spinoff company is taking on alot of debt, but giving the money to the parent company. So it seems like the spin off should be stuck with a bill and none of the benefits, while the parent company gets a huge boost of free capital and a temporarily very low WACC.

The only thing I can think of is that, if you buy a company with alot of junk debt, paying down the junk debt can produce better returns that using the debt on your business, since the payments on the junk debt are so high.
thanks in advance.
MAC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement