UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14995  
Subject: Re: ECT Update Date: 2/25/2006 2:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi all, just wanted to thank you again for your support and give a little update. Finally there is a little glimmer of good news! I got ahold of my dad the other night long enough to find out he was doing OK (I was going to go up there the next day if I couldn't). He didn't feel up to talking but we talked for almost an hour on Thursday. He sounded MUCH better. Still really down, but nothing like he sounded before. He and my stepmom are doing a little better too - I guess she was so fed up last week she couldn't even talk to him but now they're back talking and trying to work on things again.

Their house goes on the market today, so we'll see how that goes. He's still refusing to look at houses that are remotely in their price range and being stubborn about staying in the same general area, which I think is a huge mistake. I felt bad because I was a little bit harsh on him about the housing/neighborhood situation. I'm just afraid that he's being kind of childish about the whole thing and that's probably the biggest reason that my stepmom would give up.

I suggested several areas with good schools, good neighborhoods etc. and it was met every time with "But that's not what we WANT" and "We CAN'T move (little sister) out of her school!" - or my favorite, "The houses in XYZ neighborhood are way too small for the 3 of us!" (they "need" at least 2,500 square feet). I tried to give him a little bit of a reality check and told him he should stop using little sis as an excuse, reminded him that my brother and I had moved CROSS COUNTRY twice by her age and that we were rarely in the same school 2 years in a row til junior high, the FOUR of us grew up in a 1,500 square foot house just fine when my brother and I were little, etc. But of course none of this is my choice to make - I just hope it gets through a bit. We shall see.

Stepmom got a really good job offer that he's trying to talk her out of accepting, too - he's trying to convince her to stick with the business that they started and has been failing for years. <sigh>

It's really hard, half of me feels like I need to tip-toe around to keep him from getting more upset, and the other half wants to shake him and tell him his refusal to acknowledge reality right now may cost him his marriage.

But... at least, the treatments seem to be starting to work, even if it's only small progress so far. My hope is he'll continue to improve and that the stubbornness will fade as he does.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement