UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFAloha One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 47  
Subject: Re: BPI vs APOL vs APEI Date: 12/23/2010 12:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Anurag,

I love APEI, but I think the stock is a bit pricey at currently levels. In the mid-20's - where it was several weeks ago, but before I fully developed my for-profit education ("FPE") thesis - it would be a great addition to a FPE basket play.

As for APOL, I'm not the biggest fan. I've owned it in the past (years ago) and I just think they have a very aggressive, sales focused, questionable corporate culture. It feels like they are perpetually battling investigations and complaints from the SEC, DoE, FTC, heck I'm waiting for the FDA to find some problem with them.

I think this is one of those instances where size and notoriety actually works against Apollo and the University of Phoenix. Because of their size (and sub-par student graduation and repayment rates) they are the post child for this story. I believe they will more than survive this assault on the industry, but because of their size their downside risk is considerable compared to their upside potential.

I just believe, pound-for-pound, given the current price, BPI offers one of the most attractive plays on the sector.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/12/07/rising-star...

While my write-up gives you the basics of my thesis, there are a ton of free options with this company, like their software-based subsidiaries, the hidden value in developing their military and corporate channels, and the potential of their "heritage" initiatives (e.g. growing their IOWA campus and their sporting teams ... did you know they compete in college sports? http://www.ashfordathletics.com).

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a couple of more follow-up pieces on BPI and the for-profit sector out sometime after the holidays.

Hope this helps, and feel free to post any additional questions you may have.

Happy Holiday and Welcome to the ALOHA Investing Army!

Cheers,

Andy L-C (TMFAloha)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement