Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi bingo,

Your situation and goal sounds very similar to my own (I even bike to work too!) I'm also an engineer (software), also got Foolish at around age 25, and paid off my student loans then out of an aversion to debt. I can share a bit of the view from a few years down the road.

I had my e-fund of $10,000 for about 6 months expenses within half a year of deciding to do it, plus funding the Roth IRA which was $3000 at the time. It'll depend on your salary, but you should be able to do that in your year too. Unfortunately, then my company downsized me and I went through that e-fund in the six months before I landed another job. (Happy ending: that company rehired me two years later at 50% more salary.)

At age 29 this month, I've got over $100,000 in investments too. I keep $8K in an easily accessible bond fund as an emergency fund (about 4 months expenses), and don't really differentiate between any of the rest. About a third is in the 401k (which I'm presently maxing for the fourth year), a quarter in the Roth, and the rest is taxable. I just have 100% Vanguard mutual funds; I don't have the time or interest to chase individual stocks -- although your points about Microsoft are tempting and I work in a business sector that's entirely beholden to them too. :)

I have about the same timeline for future goals - hoping to be a millionaire by age 40 and "work optional" a few years after that. I have some ideas for work I'd like to do when income is no longer a factor.

So as long as you keep your salary up and your expenses down, I'm sure your goals are entirely reachable. Just hope the value of the dollar doesn't crash too much that you can't meet your expenses in yen.

- Erik
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement