Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Bob, given that this is April 13, I sure hope your question is hypothetical and not urgent.

This paying of taxes to 2 states happens a lot. Near me in Boston, a lot of people work in Massachusetts but live in New Hampshire. As it happens, NH has no income tax but MA does, and these people pay it. It goes on a Non-Resident form.

In states where both have a tax, you file a Non-Resident return where you do not live, and a Resident return where you do. You get a credit against the Non-Resident tax paid, on your Resident return. Just how this is calculated varies from state to state. But it is certain that you will never pay less tax by living in state A and working in State B, then if you both worked and lived in State A.

NY and NJ are close, and I think the NYC tax is being phased out somehow. I have not got the numbers in front of me, but I betcha the difference is half a percent tops.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.