Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi Bob,

There's no longer a way to defer gain on the sale of your personal residence. But if you own and live in your home as your main home for 2 years during the 5 years preceeding the date of sale and you haven't excluded gain on another home within 2 years, you can exclude $250,000 of gain ($500,000 if married filing jointly). And what's more you can do this every 2 years if you want to move that often.

I hope you meet the 2 year requirement but if you don't and your move was due to employment or health reasons you can still exclude part of the gain.

If you aren't able to exclude gain you will have no choice but to report the gain on your tax return. If you've owned it more than 1 year it will be a long term capital gain.

When computing your gain be sure to adjust both your selling price and the price you paid. Such things as real estate commissions, title fees, etc. are deducted from your selling price. You add to what you paid for the house most of the fees you paid when you went through excrow.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.