No. of Recommendations: 10
Hi Bobcatkitty, here is the status of your three preferreds. I would NOT consider your purchase price in making a buy/sell decision. If the REIT is going to call the preferred, your cost basis will not make any difference to them. The REIT will pay $25.00 plus the accrued dividend in all three cases.

1) BRE-pD was callable as of 12/9/2009, so it call be called at any time. I do NOT have any detailed information on BRE, but I would assume this will be called shortly. The coupon yield is 6.75%. In 2011, BRE called the –pC which also had a 6.75%. So my guess is that BRE could call this issue and get lower cost funds. BRE-pD closed last Friday at 25.64. It has a scheduled dividend of $.4219 on 6/28/13. If they called the issue today, its price would drop to about $25.44, so you would lose about 20 cents. This is compared to what you could sell it for today, NOT compared to what you paid for it originally.

This is a classic tradeoff that we often have. You can continue to hold BRE-pD and receive the 6.75% coupon yield. They MIGHT not ever call it, they do NOT have to. On the other hand, if they do call it tomorrow, you will have a potential loss of 20 cents.

2) CBL-pD was callable on 12/13/2009, so it is also callable at any time. It has a $.4609 dividend payable on July 1st, 2013 for a 7.375% coupon. It closed at 25.77 last Friday, so the risk is about 27 cents. CBL called its –pC last November and it had a 7.75% coupon. So, once again it would not be surprising if it was called any day now.

3) O-pF has a first call date of 2/15/17 and a 6.625% coupon. Its yield to first call (YTFC) is 3.75% due to its 27.48 closing price.

This is the other classic tradeoff that we often have. Let’s consider the three possible outcomes:

a) Interest rates continue to fall until 2017. O-pF is called. If this happens, you would have been better off selling it today and re-investing the proceeds in an issue with a higher YTFC.

b) Interest rates remain the same until 2017. O-pF might or might not be called, it is not knowable at this point in time.

c) Interest rates rise until 2017. O-pF likely will NOT be called. The value of O-pF will fall, because investors can buy newly issued preferred shares with higher coupon yields.

As you can see, the decision to buy/sell/hold is essentially making a forecast of future interest rates in 2017. So there is NO, exact, provable answer. Personally I would sell O-pF ASAP as I generally would not continue holding any preferred with a YTFC of 3.75%. It is OK to for each investor to come to a difference conclusion and hold O-pF. Under NO circumstances would I buy additional shares though.


Thanks,

Yodaorange
Print the post  

Announcements

Related Boards
Real Estate Investing
This is a great board for Real Estate other than REITs.

Buying & Selling a Home
Get your personal advice about mortgages, agents, etc. here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement