UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Re: My retirement plan. Any advice welcome. Date: 9/23/2008 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

By far the best beginning investment book that I have read is “The Bogelheads Guide to Investing” Check out the reviews at Amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Lari...

There is an active “Military Fools” Board that may have good information on some of the special situations that you are facing. Here is an unrelated link;

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27013716

...I also have gift to minor fund for my son for his college....

The problem with they type of account that you have right now is that when the kid turns 18 or 21, depending on your state, then they can get the money and spend it on whatever they want.

Having the money in the kids name will also hurt their eligibility for financial aid for college. If you eventually have other kids there is also no way to shift money between the kids if you ever want to.

There is a “Paying for College” board that would be a good place to ask for college investing suggestions. Here is a link;
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27007452

...I am currently giving 1300 of it to someone else via rent. I want to buy a house around 200,000 ish and devote that allowance to my own morgage....

Buying and selling a house can easily cost 10% or more of the selling price with all the loan costs, inspections, and real estate commission. In addition since you are in such a low tax bracket you will not get any benefit from the tax deductions for property taxes and mortgage interest. When you add in occasionally have to put on a new roof or get a new furnace it may actually be cheaper to rent. The interest on $200K at 6% is $12,000 per year or a thousand dollars a month so if the house you are currently renting for $1,300 per month is almost certainly less expensive than buying a $200K house.

Over the long term the inflation adjusted price appreciation of a residential house is usually negative. For example with rare exceptions a 100 year old house will be worth a lot less(adjusted for inflation) than it was when it was new. Often by the time it is a hundred years old it will have either become pretty decrepit or have been torn down.

...I plan to put max both Roth IRA's each year....

A very good idea until you are in a higher tax bracket and probably still a good idea then.

Greg
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement