UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFLou2 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 137  
Subject: Re: Personal Disclosure is unFoolish Date: 2/1/2001 6:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Hi catdaddy,

As an employee of the Motley Fool, I'd like to respond to your post. I understand your concerns, certainly, but I think perhaps there are some issues you aren't considering.

When we started coming up with this disclosure policy, we wanted it to be the best, most consistent one out there. While we could have just required that writers like me disclose our holdings, that doesn't address what goes on on our discussion boards. Our employees are free to post where they want and what they want (within our Fool Rules, of course), but with that freedom comes responsibility. And that responsibility, in my opinion, is full disclosure.

Here's why I think that. I believe that for new users on our boards, a heavier weight is given to what a "TMFer" says as opposed to non-employees. I'm not saying I wish that were so, because I believe that our community members are our true most valuable assets - but I do think it *is* so. For fun social boards, this doesn't matter much, but the same isn't true for the stock/investing boards.

We wanted to address these stock ownership disclosure issues for the boards and this was really the only fully consistent solution. I don't think we have any techies or any ad folks or production people or anyone at this company that wants to go out and hype a stock that they own on our boards, but I believe erring on the side of caution is a sound policy. Our reach as TMF employees goes beyond the editorial content on this site. Therefore, so does our disclosure policy.

Personally, I've always disclosed all my stock holdings in my profile, even before I worked here. Employees aren't required to say how many shares they own of something, or how much they have invested in the market, or anything like that. Just tickers. I'm not scared of that. I'm learning, just like everyone else on this site.

I appreciate your valiant defense of our privacy, but I don't think it's necessary. I'm very proud of our new disclosure policy. I would hope that every single employee here is, too. I'd bet that they are.

Best,
Lou
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement