UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: opentolearn Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35365  
Subject: Re: OT: the Role of Psychology in Investing Date: 10/27/2002 12:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi Charlie:
There's nothing inherent in the financial tools or methods themselves that make them better or worse, but the personality of the user? ?

I agree with what you say. I think one's personality can make a big difference, especially if there is a tendency to be Closed vs.Open Minded.

I was trying to focus on how we as investors are different from one another, rather than what we have in common, or do you think that approach wrong-headed?

I don't think there is one Right or one Wrong approach. Personally I think one has to look at the whole picture - what we have in common, as well as our individual differences are.

But if an individual knows her/himself well, they are more likely to be able to endure the hard times that will happen to them before their approach will flower again and bring the rewards characteristic of it. In others words, on the basis of self-knowlege, one can choose one's battles and wars carefully, stacking the odds of success, and -- more importantly-- one will have the strength of chacter and conviction to ignore or refute the supposed expects (who more than likely don't have the same type), simply by saying: "Well, yes, that's fine for you and a clever and impressive argument, but I am not you, and this is what works best for me."

I whole heartedly agree with your statement. The key is definitely self knowledge, being open to look within, owning and admitting one's strengths and weaknesses and being willing to learn. I do my best to accept my mistakes as "gifts" that teach me to do things differently in the future (easier said than done)

If I could create a situation where students felt safe, where the whole class was their peers and they weren't just "writing for the teacher", they blossemed like flowers and did brave and wonderful things in front of an audience, giving each other feedback and support in ways they experience in other parts of their lives, but not typically in an English class. .

Again Charlie I agree wholeheartedly. Safety, Integrity and Trust are the best tools for learning.

As far as my investing experience has been concerned it has been very humbling. I got involved with NAIC, at the beginning of the Bull Market. I thought the NAIC SSG Toolkit was the answer. However, it wasn't until later I realized how judgment affected the SSG. I also got seduced with the tech bubble and didn't follow NAIC's principles, but everything seemed to be working. I followed the buy and hold principle, and bought on dips ( my personality is "Getting Value"- the reality was I really didn't know what I was doing.) and then everything crashed. Luckily I put a larger percentage of our money in CD's and some Bonds, because Ilost a lot of money (both on paper and real) because I didn't really "understand" what I was doing - was I following the crowd? Probably. I put my toe in the Stock Market the last time interest rates were low. My mother who was living on her savings. Handed over her money and asked me to get more income. The first stock I bought was IBM, because it was paying a bigger dividend than I could get at the bank, and it was a blue chip stock, so I bought some shares for her. Two weeks later it was half what I paid and the dividend was reduced that was my introduction to the stock market. From then on I started reading the Wall Street Journal, some money magazines, joined NAIC and got involved with Motley Fools. I'm not math oriented but I really love learning, even though it takes me a long time to understand some of the concepts. Now as you know I am tackling Bonds.

Sorry for rambling.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement