Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Charm,

I went to look for a source, and here is the deal. It appears that if you have reduced your gross income by the foreign income exclusion and nothing is left (ie, if your earned income is <80,000 or so) then you can not contribute to the Roth. If you have taken the foreign income exclusion, and you still have a positive adjusted gross income, then it is still possible to contribute to the Roth. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Adjusted gross income.

This is generally the amount on line 38 of your 2006 Form 1040; line 22 of your 2006 Form 1040A; or line 36 of your 2006 Form 1040NR. However, you must add to that amount any exclusion or deduction claimed for the year for:

Foreign earned income,...

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.