UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hansf Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1656  
Subject: Re: Update Date: 12/8/2000 5:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your sustainability business concepts. Reading them did spark a few ideas.

I like the idea of a consultants "guru" network where each member can refer clients to other members who are expert in meeting the clients' specific needs. As an electrical engineer with experience in automation software and hardware integration, I'm thinking of providing process automation services to help businesses reduce pollution and save money. I'd love to be able to call in other experts to help a client (and to be called in!).

The other idea may not be much of a money maker but could leverage a large impact on the sustainability of our society. As an individual, I compost, recycle, buy organic food, etc., but there is only so much impact I can make. I have two kids, one in second grade and one in kindergarten. It's amazing some of the concepts they bring home from school. "Walking instead of driving is good for Mother Earth".
"You shouldn't use pesticides because they have poison in them".
"The dark green lettuce is healthier than the light green lettuce".

Presenting sustainability concepts to children at schools reaches an unjaded, open minded audience who doesn't have such a vested short term interest in maintaining the unsustainable status quo as we adults do. These school classes/presentations would positively influence our kids, the future decision makers, and the kids immediately would be a powerful voice for change to their parents.

I'm not sure how to pursue this, but there must be existing programs. Does anyone know of some? I'm particularly interested in sustainability and anti-consmerism/conscious consumerism to counter the messages to kids from the mainstream media.

Hans
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement