Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Chuck,
I never thought of using schedule D to report eBay sales and a quick glance over of the instructions, I may be stretching to use. My amount of gain was quite small I first thought to report on schedule C, the instructions(C,)however, pointed me back to 1040 because this was more of a "hobby", as opposed to business started to generate income. Take a look at Pub.525 "miscellaneous taxable income". Also compare the instruction for schedule C and schedule D. If your time invested was as substantial as the amount gained you could benefit using schedule C and writing off your much of the activity you performed(purchased-ie. eBay fees) to obtain this income. You don't have to be a "declared" business operation, etc. to use schedule C. Good luck!

Know Foolin' 2001

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.