Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi CK,

In essence I agree with you, however my own working of a SWR is around 2.5% depending on my allocation and a not overly optimistic estimate of future results (leaving plenty of potential upside). This makes the multiple more like 40 times spending rather than 25 times. Though you're correct things can always change and it is by no means exact or a science, that is too big a difference of sum of money to ignore and just take the party line of 25 x budget. To do that would give me an entirely false goal and lead me to believe I will independent way before that is actually true.

Petey

Here's my take on SWRs: I don't really care!

Why? I'm saving as much as I possibly can right now, and what I hope to do is downshift rather than retire outright and maybe even continue saving money into the FIRE fund from odd jobs and freelance writing. I don't know what the economy will do over the next 10-20 years. I don't know what *I'm* going to do over the next 10 years, let alone the 50+ years before I die. I'm slowly shifting my asset allocation because I'm getting older, but I'm not going to worry about the minutae of SWRs. It's a guideline. That's all.

There's a reason why my portfolio is a Couch Potato portfolio. I'd rather spend most of my time living my life rather than waste so much time and energy trying to pin certainty on something that's inherently uncertain.

CK
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement