Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: whoopica Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5113  
Subject: Re: Help with transition! Date: 3/1/2009 7:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi Clabber,

I am a mom of a lifelong homelearner who is in her final year before University.

You have my sympathy! I do not envy you one bit the family dynamic you describe. First, let me say if I had had to homeschool in the way "Gram" expects I would have just given up and walked away from homeschooling altogether. For me the joy in homeschooling is building on and encouraging the child's love of learning, not repeating the spirit-killing busy work that turned me off school as child.

Unfortunately this is going to be a bit of a drive by post but I think that you and I have similar perspectives on homeschooling and I really want to offer what I consider a 3rd alternative from the 2 polar extremes that Paul described.

I practice something that I call Child-led learning. I consider it distinct from unschooling partially because all the folks that I know in the Greater Toronto Area who label themselves as unschoolers are very committed to the extreme that Paul describes. They reject many overtly academic pursuits and from my perspective give up the parental role with regards to education. What you describe in terms of your ideal day is very much on that spectrum, ie using the child's interests and passions as a jumping off point for pursuing academic growth.

From an article I was asked to write for a homeschooing magazine when the viking maiden's achievement
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27195126
was big news in the Canadian homeschooling community.

"My core values(as an educator) turned out to be; first and foremost a fundamental respect for the learner and the learning process, second the importance of always fostering a student's ownership of the process and third always encouraging an exploratory, joyful and curious approach to learning. "

I have yet to see a pre-packaged curriculum that fits with these core values.

Most kids I've known who have been homeschooled in Gram's fashion, choose to go mainstream school as soon as the choice is available, because they see it as having the down-sides of the school experience with not nearly enough upside.

Child-led education requires courage, hard work and trust in your relationship with your child. It requires an ability to adapt. Most importantly it requires confidence in your abilities as an educator and your vision of education. To me the rewards have been more than worth it.

I'm sure that you will have to work out what actually works for your family but I really wanted you to know that despite the grim picture that is being painted of the potential for academic achievement with a looser approach many have found success with it. 3 of the 4 Colfax kids attended Harvard. The viking maiden is an AP Scholar and a National Biology scholar with distinction. Her SAT scores and in particular her SAT Math subject test and AP calculus scores would suggest that somehow we managed to cover multiplication more than sufficiently.

whoopica
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement