Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFRichDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 647  
Subject: Re: What's up with the $34B charge? Date: 1/25/2009 7:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Hi clairence,

Does such necessity exist as market prices increase as well?

Yes. By definition, proven reserves means that the oil exists and that it is economically feasible to recover it and deliver it to market. So, when the price of oil goes up or down this necessitates a revision in the amount of proven reserves the company has.

These adjustments aren't normally very large, though. Maybe 1 or 2% of all reserves.

The rules for reporting reserves are currently being revised by the SEC and are due to be released shortly. They will become effective in January, 2010 (iirc) and its been reported that they will allow broader definitions of reserves. No longer will there only be "proven" reserves. Like Canada and some European countries, the US will now allow "probable" reserves - that is the quantity of oil in the ground that is likely to be recoverable and economical to do so - to be reported along side proven reserves.

But from a fundamental standpoint, isn't it possible that this kind of mark-to-market activity is something of a gimmick?

I'm afraid I haven't been very clear and I may be confusing things.

Above, in this post, we are discussing the rules dealing with the definition of proven reserves and the impact changes in the price of oil (or nat gas) have on that volume.

Mark to market is an accounting requirement that is totally seperate. What this reporting requirement says, essentially, is that if a company purchased an asset for say $1000 two years ago. And now, two years later, the prevailing market price of that asset is $500. The rule requires the company to post a loss of $500 and adjust the reported value of that asset on its balance sheet to the $500 current market value.

Both items are applicalbe to COP, here, with the mark to market of the Lukoil investment being the lions share of the loss.

The mark to market accounting requirement has been blamed by some for causing much of the current financial crisis and is one of many reason why banks are posting such huge losses lately. Whether or not the mark to market requirement is good or not, I'm not sure.

One thing I do know, as an investor who relies on the balance sheet to give a more or less acurate picture of what the company owns and owes, I want it to reflect current market conditions. So, I'm inclined to agree and except mark to market accounting. It isn't perfect though. Nothing ever is.

Rich
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement