UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: allechor632 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308543  
Subject: Re: Big Dilemma, no income, debt, IRA- need fact Date: 6/26/2012 8:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi d-mom,

...but even working fast food or as a server or even Dave Ramsey's favorite - delivering pizzas - could get you enough money to be able to keep a roof over your head.

To top everything else off, I had hand surgery in May and still gaining full use of that hand. It was a difficult decision to go thru with it (had been scheduled for a couple months) considering everything else that was happening, but I couldn't risk further nerve damage. This has impeded the type of work I can even look for. There were some local jobs I applied for in the hopes they could accommodate, but going in with a huge bandage and having to tell them of the limitations I'd have and for how long...well, you get it. healing well now and of course I am still looking for anything.

I don't how large where you live is. Any possibility of getting a roommate to cut expenses? Any family that you could move in with?

Unfortunately, no. I live in a small, expensive, full apt. with cats, and a handful of other animals. I have a garage that my car can't even live in b/c it is used for storage (I moved from a place over 2x this size). Btw, I AM selling things, but not much of value :-/

All my family is out of state and have their own lives, families, problems...

Oh, another thing. While you may not be eligible for unemployment (I take your word for that), not clear on that - when you are self-employed, no one is paying into unemployment like a company does for its employees, therefore, there is no $$ available.

what about other forms of assistance such as Food Stamps? Also check other social service agencies.

Thanks, yes. I just got food stamps (had my meeting yesterday! :) and Lifeline (a small amount off phone bill). What really stinks about many of these gov't/state programs is that if you are self-employed they go by previous year's taxes - which obviously has no bearing on current situation. Not only that, but they go by your gross, not AGI. Very unfair. I assumed food stamps was the same so did not apply, then spoke with someone and THEY offer an alternative method of income proof. Wish I'd known this before. They are the only one I have found so far that will do that. I do have some financial assistance thru my local hospital and on a payment plan, but I take 5 daily meds and a few as needed - some cheap (I have found some great resources including two for free from manufacturers), some $40-$70 at a time. It all adds up...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement