Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 213697  
Subject: Re: OT: Question for Mungofitch Date: 10/4/2012 9:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
Hi, David. I'm not mungo nor do I ever pretend to be him... even after staying at a Holiday Inn Express.... but here is a link to a number of his Amazon comments in this thread:

http://boards.fool.com/ot-stx-30246111.aspx?sort=whole

This is a nice quote from him in it:

Amazon is a perpetual low-margin no-ROE business. Always has been and I assume always will be.
Outside the US there is perhaps a negative moat, inside the US a marginal one at best.
I don't see one at all, but then I don't live in the US.
It's a business based on having the best price, with no barriers to entry
and perfect price comparison ability. The sales tax scam is going away.
The appearance of "brand loyalty" comes solely from their high sales
figures which they are purchasing with their low cost of capital, 1999 style.
There is an infinite demand for stuff sold at no profit, but why bother?
I would certainly short them, but it seems they have managed to find an extremely
large number of gullible shareholders who stick with them through thick and thin.
Well, through thin and thin.
Plus, it's already priced for 20 years of results better than they have
ever managed in their best quarter ever. I put it in the "too dumb" pile.

I especially appreciate that thread since I'm one of the very, very few naysayers regarding Amazon over at the Stock Advisor Amazon board. I'm not about to short it <LOL>, but I'm not interested in buying it... and if brought up for discussion I'll argue against including it in the Phoenix <Supernova> portfolio. The ongoing stock price rise just makes no sense to me and I never get any logical responses to my arguments against Amazon as an investment.

Rob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement