UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cocomurph1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 46814  
Subject: Re: TMF's Future-Could Less Be More? Date: 10/12/2005 11:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi Don!

Yes, TMF wants to grow, like any good business. One key issue, however, that also faces all businesses is whether or not the growth is "healthy" or unhealthy, longer-term. Selling lots of subscriptions short-term won't matter much if there really is "pick quality degradation"...and thus poorer investment results by subscribers...and thus longer-term subscription churn.

To that point, here is an excerpt from a post I made to TMFCop:

More to the point, I think that each individual newsletter is approaching the point where the number of active picks can lead to a gradual degradation of quality over time...hurting investor's results, and thus, TMF. Whether it's Tom, Dave, Bill, Mathew or Philip...the top guys only have so many hours in a day....and if they are picking the kind of companies that we should hold for 3-5 years ( or more )...and these companies prices constantly vary from over to under-valued over time, they need to be watched/evaluated for opportunistic adds/sells, as well as business case altering strategic events...both good and bad.

It's been said that an individual investor can only analyze/keep track of 15-20 stocks in depth. I don't know whether that's right or wrong...but there has to be some limit.....and IMHO, certain analytical functions ( primarily the more soft, intangible, judgemental ones ) can't/shouldn't be delegated by the top level talent.

While I fully subscribe to TomG's HG diversification strategy for small caps, as well as other stocks, I just think that addressing the inevitable train wreck that will occur from reco overload will be in the longer-run interests of the majority of TMF newsletter users and thus, TMF.

Of course, this hypothesis rests on the assumption that the majority of TMF subscribers don't do in-depth FA/DD that goes a level beyond what TMF does ( either because they don't think they have the ability or the time ). If that assumption is wrong, then I stand corrected, and the TMF picks can multiply ad infinitum, since they will be primarily used as an intial screening device...sort of like we use the BMW Method charts as a starting point for identifying good candidates for FA/DD.

Does TMF have any idea as to how their existing subscriber base splits along these lines? And how about potential subcribers? My marketing gut says that the mass market ( and the most long-term money for TMF ) has to among the less sophisticated, time strapped investors.

It's a fine line to walk...that of pleasing two market segments...maybe that distinction offers some hints of how TMF newsletters might be segmented/differentiated in the future?

Best regards,

Murph

( who sees different TMF product needs between newbies/smaller portfolios and veterans/larger portfolios.......as well as FA/DD'ers and those that don't )
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement