No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi Ed,
Sounds like this relative is currently, or will soon become, a tax dependent of yours, yes?

If so, you may qualify for financing colloquially known as "kiddie kondo terms" through either FHA, or Fannie/Freddie (in other words, all the lenders you'd normally be talking to anyway.)

This allows for the "responsible" family member(s) to apply for and qualify as non-occupants at PRIMARY RESIDENCE rates and terms, as co-buyers/co-borrowers with the financially weaker family occupants. This is one of those rare cases where you are allowed the rates, terms & privileges of primary residence financing on more than one home (in fact, if the ratios work, you could potentially do this on multiple homes for multiple dependent family members.)

If this won't work this way, you'd be financing on terms as an investment property, basically requiring 20% down, at rates 1/4% to 1% above primary residence rates.

Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner
Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.