Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bernrds One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19221  
Subject: Hi everyone Date: 1/6/2000 10:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am a fairly long term TMF (mostly lurker) who recently discovered this board.

I am 51 and thinking of retiring in the not too distant future. I hate to be another person who writes here asking for help but I guess that is what it boils down to. I am interested in a range of everyday investor opinions.

I may just retire the next time I think work is too full of BS. :)

I am trying to move my portfolio into more retirement oriented stocks (low risk, high dividend, some growth).
In the next two weeks I will be closing on two properties that will leave me with around $500K in cash. My portfolio is currently around $300K with a 60/40 stock bond mix. I own two homes outright and have no debt.

I want to choose some stocks to place a portion of this money into. I am thinking about the following and wonder what other suggestions people might have.

I am thinking of MO, KO, SBC, BEL, JNJ, DIS. I already have positions in most of these (except KO and MO). WHat do you all think of the Phillip Morris risk? Best dividend there is at this point. Please suggest stocks as I have always avoided mutual funds because of the fees and capital gains taxes. Buying funds would be a new experience for me but I could learn.

Please note that the above funds do not include any 401K money which I am not including as I am 51 and that money is not available or much conrollable by me. I think there may be another $100K there.

What are YOUR picks for near retirement or retirement stocks. I have read the Foolish Four, etc. I am also interested in porportions (i.e., how much of each to buy).

Thanks for your help and I will try to contribute to answering others questions as well as asking them :).

Bernie

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement