UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127683  
Subject: Re: Points/No Points? Date: 6/26/2001 1:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Hi Frank,

I'm currently shopping my mortgage around. I close on 7/27 (about a month) Looking into a 30 yr Fixed 80/15/5...
...I plan to be in the house for 5 - 10 years.

OK... now think this out carefully...
If you're outa there in 5-10 years, WHY would you voluntarily choose to pay an additional $1,000 to $1,500 PER YEAR for a 30 year fixed rather than a 5/1 or 7/1 ARM?

With today's tax and investment environment, the 30 year fixed doesn't even make sense for a real estate buy & hope owner! You want to save the maximum amount away from interest that you can and divert it to higher growth investments. You also want the maximum flexibility to get your equity back out as often as you can to put in those same investment vehicles.

What are everyone's opinions on buying points? Is it dumb? wise? Should I use it to get my monthly payments lower, or prepay princial for more equity (or a larger downpayment for that matter)? Most people I've talked to seem very black or white on this issue.

I used to be "black," and now I'm "white" on the subject. I used to point out that every dollar in discount points you pay is the equivalent of 8-10 dollars of interest over the course of the life of the loan... and while that's true, Ray has exposed it further;

If you take that dollar that might have been spent on discount points and invest it in even a stodgy, boring, safe liquid investment, you're likely to have much MUCH more than $8-10 dollars over 30 years.

Do whatever it takes to own your home AND keep YOUR money OUT of your home... and put it in better investment vehicles! Finance so you pay as little as possible, and can get your accumulated equity out as often as practical.

Real estate is only a profitable investment to the business owner, not the occupant. The rest of us buy it for emotional purposes, and try to justify it financially. The truth is, for purely financial considerations alone, it's usually more appropriate to rent in most markets... but who's interested in that!?!

All the best,
Dave Donhoff
Lic. Mortgage Broker

(ps. you'll never hear another Mortgage Broker be this blunt about buying NOT making sense financially... but if you're going to do it, use a great broker to finance, and do it the best way you can!)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement