Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Santa22 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24983  
Subject: Re: ESO vs Salaries in Biotech Date: 10/10/2002 1:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Hi Fushi,
I disagree. I worked for a small company (custom manufacturing of drug substance) in Switzerland. The company was booming (growth >30% per year), made tons of money, the 2 owners sold for $150 million (not swiss francs, dollars) and the young motivated team who helped achieve this got a nice "thank you all". It was fun working there (not like working for Basel pharmas in suit and tie) but financially disappointing considering the success fo the company.
Right now I'm working for a small US biotech with options underwater but ....
on paper they were worth a nice six digit dollar amount just eight month ago and I'm quite confident for the future. I agree, if you don't see a chance that the options wil be worth anything in the next 5-7 years, look for a new job that pays better.
I know I could make 20-30% more at a big pharma (and they give you options as well), but I prefer the high risk small biotechs (high risk + high return ?????) And I hate the inefficincy of big companies (drives me crazy).
One last comment about risk: If I get laid of I have 2 weeks to leave the country with wife, two children and a complete household. I am aware of the risk.

Santa
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement