UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: Re: So, Here's My First Question Date: 2/4/2001 8:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi Gekko,

Appropriate name if you are going to relocate to the tropics. We have hundreds of them running around our house alone.

I would think very seriously before leaving the mainland and coming to the USVI to run a business. While it is a great place to visit, I have lived here 5 years now and would never own a business here. Heck, with this government, I won't even buy a house.

The one thing in your favor running a bar down here is the liquor prices. A liter of Alize, (a most amazing mixture of passion fruit juice and cognac,) is about $10 here, $22-$25 in various parts of the states. We are duty free. Liquor is basically less than half the price of what you pay on the mainland. There are also plenty of alcoholics, so you have a built in business in addition to all the tourists. Mixers however are very expensive, and drinks are usually made quite strong. For some reason, wine is no cheaper than the mainland, and I have no clue about beer. We have a rum distillery here on St. Croix which makes very good rum very cheaply.

Rent doesn't have to be bad if you just have a shack on the beach. "Lattitudes" on the west end of STX is just that. Utilities are outrageously expensive and intermittent. You could easily be without electricity for extended periods of time. The work ethic leaves much to be desired, and many have a particularly nasty disposition to work. Rudeness is common and an accepted way of life with many though not all locals. Fortunately, there are also plenty of beach bum mainlanders for whom a bar fly job may just be perfect.

The tourist flow gets pretty light in the summer, which is unfortunate since I think that is our best weather with the exception of the hurricanes. The weather is 90-95 in the summer with little humidity or rain, and a great breeze. The water is like a bath tub filled with warm turquoise water. I am too acclimated to swim here in the winter anymore though it is around 85F. The waters cool off to the high 70s and it is just too cold for me.

The government regulations and health board I hear constant complaints about from friends who own places. The Buffet theme is quite rampant already with the above mentioned "Lattitudes" and a restaurant/bar "Cheeseburgers in Paradise".

Definitely visit an area extensively before making any move. Go online and read the online version of the local paper. The coolest bar/restaurant I have ever visited is in the BVIs, on, or rather offshore of, Norman island IIR. It is actually on a boat anchored in a harbor of this relatively deserted island. The sailing charters are it's main clientel, and it is outrageously fun.

Best of luck. Quite the dream.

InParadise
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement