UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Could I Have an "Attaboy!" Date: 6/13/2013 9:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi GSF,

You mean to tell me that you live in NJ and drive a Civic? Are you crazy ???? ;o)
I couldn't resist - and truthfully, every state I've been in has its share of crazy drivers.

I don't love my Civic. In fact, my emotions towards it are now, and always have been, far more resignation and a sense of "settling" for than anything resembling enthusiasm.

Interesting. We still have our second Accord (2000). Before that, we had a 1987 Accord that was still running fine when I sold it. I'm used to the ride of the bigger car, and the Civic doesn't "do it" for me. Once I rented a Corolla and it seemed to have a smoother ride than the Civic.

I have two kids. Everyone said that I'd "have to" get a minivan or a larger car, but I didn't and still don't need one.

How un-American of you! Of COURSE you need a minivan. ;o) Why if everybody thought like you, how would companies like Exxon (originally Std Oil of NJ) reap in huge annual profits?

Sorry....I've had a rough day.

My Civic is a wonderful workhorse. Got it in Sept 2009, and it has less than 30K miles on it. I'd be shocked if it ever needs more than oil and tire changes. Good gas mileage. That's why I downsized.

I haven't been frequenting this board, and I get the feeling that the sentiment here is definitely in the frugality range. I admire that.

And there's a lot to be said about avoiding being taken advantage of by the banks. These days, with interest rates being where they are, it's so tempting to incur debt. And younger people seem, in general, to have no idea of that thing about how you have to pay it all back.

All of which makes me feel very good about having a ZERO balance in the car loan department. Maybe this weekend I'll celebrate by cleaning up the Civic ;o)

Jack
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement