No. of Recommendations: 0

I am a Brit, and I came back from working in New York about a year ago so basically the opposite to you. From what I understand (although don't quote me on this!!) is that the country of residence takes priority for a given year and due to a tax treaty between the two countries you can only be taxed once (although you may need to pay it all and sort the mess out later to avoid fines as I have discovered) There is a method for calculating whether you are eligible to be taxed in each country depending on the number of days you were in the country in a given year, again not certain on the details.

I was told that the ISAs/PEPs I held when I went would not be taxed while I was in the US, but I was not able to start any more while I was a US resident. What the situation is when you take the proceeds from an ISA while you are not a UK resident is I don't know, sorry.

Bit vague, but I hope it helps


I had Andersen doing my tax returns and they were very expensive (luckily I wasn't paying) and I can't say I was impressed.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.