Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124818  
Subject: Re: Question from a non resident alien. Date: 12/16/2000 4:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi! I am not an US citizen nor a legal permanent resident though the latter is under processing. I am
employed under a work visa and am not a citizen of Canada or Mexico. Can I claim my spouse (who is a homemaker) and my two children (who are in the US) as dependents and claim the deduction?

If they were in the U.S. as temporary or permanent residents at some time in 2000 they meet the Citizenship/Residency test. If the children meet the other tests for dependency, they qualify as your dependents. Details about all the tests are in IRS Publication 501.

Your spouse is not usually considered a dependent, but there are some strange rules for aliens. I suggest you look at Chapter 1 of IRS Publication 19.

Anyone who is going to be listed on your return needs an identifying number. Assuming that they don't yet qualify for SSN's, you'll need to get ITINs for them. You apply for these on Form W-7. You can download forms and pubs from

Phil Marti
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.