UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75797  
Subject: Re: make too much for IRA Date: 2/19/2012 5:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi, I made too much and have a 403 at work and hence cannot contribute to IRA. however, I heard that I can contribute to IRA but not take the tax benefit ( have to submit some specific form to IRS)but soon after convert the IRA to Roth.

It's true - to a point. You missed hearing a very important caveat. Do you have any other IRAs that have pre-tax money in them (traditional IRAs, rollover IRAs, etc.)? If so, when doing the conversion, the conversion will be taxed based on the % of IRA assets that are pre-tax. If you have pre-tax IRAs, the only way to convert 100% of the post-tax IRA contribution is to convert 100% of your IRAs to a Roth IRA.

See IRS Pub 590 for details.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.