Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AnotherBGFool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 214  
Subject: Re: WU Covered Straddle Date: 1/1/2012 3:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi - I own 100 shares of WU at a $17.65 cost basis.

I'm new at this too, but have a basic understanding of selling put options.

In my case I sold 1 $18 WU February 2012 put option contract on 11/1/2011 and was paid $180 minus broker fees to do so.

If WU closes BELOW the $18 strike price when my option contract expires on the 3rd Friday in February 2012 I WILL BE obligated to purchase 100 shares of WU at $18 per share.

If WU closes ABOVE the $18 strike price when my option contract expires on the 3rd Friday in February 2012 I WILL NOT BE obligated to purchase 100 shares of WU.

In either case I get to keep the initial $180 premium I was paid when I sold the put option contract.

Here again is Jeff's recommendation ...

Western Union (NYSE: WU): Buy half an allocation in shares and sell to open a February 2012 $18 covered straddle (selling $18 puts and calls), lately for around $2.20.

Note that the recommendation tells you to open option contracts for the SAME month, in this case February 2012. In my case I sold a February 2012 $18 put option contract, then sold a May 2012 $18 call option contract.

So the twist in my case is that I did not do use the SAME month. I wanted to get $150 for the call option and found that I was able to accomplish this using the May 2012 call option contract.

So ... it looks like I have a covered straddle strategy in place but my puts and call options have different expiration months. So I'm not even sure this is a true covered straddle. I do know that I will have to wait longer for my covered calls options to reach expiration.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement