Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I think I can answer your questions regarding Swiss taxes on your US income and investments. While I am not a tax consultant, and so cannot guarantee that this is correct, I do live in Switzerland, and this is my understanding.

If you live and work in Switzerland, you must pay income tax on what you earn here. However, as far as I am aware, Switzerland does not claim the right to tax income earned abroad.

Unfortunately, the reverse is not true. The US *will* claim the right to tax your Swiss income, unless you meet the conditions of being abroad for more than X days in the year (I don't recall X exactly--you should ask in the US about this). Even if you meet these requirements, the US only grants you a tax deduction of $70,000 against your Swiss income, and they will want to tax anything above that.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.