UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sheilita One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 160  
Subject: Re: Capitalizing on flu meds Date: 1/27/2000 12:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi,

I'm new to this board, but started looking at it because my next investment is going to be in the area of biotech and was interested to see what other doctors were intrigued by. It was by doing my early DD that I discovered that Tamiflu is marketed and distributed by Roche, but was developed by Gilean (GILD) pharmaceuticals. Roche, although technically a public company is largely privately owned and the float is extremely small and expensive (I hear each share is in the 10's of 1000's of dollars). So essentially, you can't get any. Gilean is publicly traded and has a pipeline of other interesting drugs for treatment of flu, HIV and HepB. I don't know enough about the fundamentals to recommend for or against it. I would welcome other opinions.

As for relenza, I'm not sure who makes/markets it at all. I have never used it but have spoken to an ER doc/GP who says that it's being used fairly extensively and with moderately good success.

I'm also looking at a company called Viropharma (VPHM) which has a drug called Pleconaril for treating the common cold and viral meningitis in the pipeline. It is expected to get FDA approval for the meningitis indication late 2000 and for the common cold in 2001.

Other neat biotechs: Biomira (BIOM on Nasdaq, BRA on the TSE - full disclosure: I'm Canadian and interested in cross-listed stocks) which is testing cancer vaccines for breast and lung cancer, Synsorb (SYB on the TSE) which is developing drugs to treat HUS in children and C Diff diarrhea, Hemosol (HML on the TSE) which is in late Phase III testing of a blood product alternative I believe).

I'm also very interested in companies involved in genomics/bioinformatics: Celera (CRA), Affymetrix (AFFX), Human Genome Sciences (HGSI) and Milennium (MLNM I think). Again, I'd love to get others' opinions on some of these stocks/industries, as I'm looking to jump into 1 or 2 in the next few weeks.

Thanks

Sheilita
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement