Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1653  
Subject: Re: YMCA? Date: 3/3/2006 9:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi-

I'm not a 'workout' person, but I'm aware of the benefits of staying in shape and do(did*) through a lot of physical activity, e.g. cutting & splitting firewood, using a push instead of a powered mower, regular brisk walking, that kind of stuff. I do have a treadmill I use for aerobics in winter, and an inground lap pool(12'W X 36'L X 6'D) for warmer weather. I usually open the pool earlier than most people, generally at the end of March. The chilly water is a good motivator to swim laps, just to stay warm!
*I say 'did' because of some physical problems over the past coupla years. Recent surgery though, will (hopefully) have fixed those problems. Another month or so will tell.

Anyway I thought I'd offer my (actually DW's, but I pay the bills) bit of gym experience.

There is(was) a nice 'Y' nearby. All the usual equipment, indoor pool, trainers, etc. ('Was' because Shaun (Seattle Seahawks) Alexander and his brother bought it and are in the process of revamping it to start their own business there.) When tenspouse decided she wanted to join a gym a few years back, we looked around. The Y appeared to be OK, but sort of past its prime. A Gold's had just opened a few miles down the road. Both were about the same distance from our home. Money comparison was a bit in favor of the Y, (both around $420-$450/yr) but Gold's had a special intro offer of 18 months for the price of 12. Plus everything was brand spankin' new. Gold's family deal wasn't as good as the Y, but would have been wasted on me anyway since I don't 'do' gyms :-). When the 18 months were up we started to look around again. Gold's asked about renewing and I told them what we were doing. They immediately offered us the 18 month (for the price of 12) deal again, but at $350/yr! Pretty much a no brainer money-wise. The Gold's membership can also be used wherever they have a gym, and being that tenspouse's job involves some travel, that was another plus. She uses the gym regularly, sometimes as much as 5 times a week (the Y actually had some usage limits - pretty high, but still...)
There are some other gyms around (Curves, FitnessWorks, coupla others) but Gold's worked out best for us.

Maybe when the Alexander bros. (Shaun grew up & played HS football around here) get their place up & running we'll check it out, but tenspouse really likes Gold's equipment, trainers, movies in the treadmill room, & spinning class. They keep the place pretty spiffy too. Me? (to borrow a line from the J Geils Band) first I look at the purse.

Rich
-no bodybuilder, but 23.7 BMI (6' @ 175#) http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement