Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ZenvestorB Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 682  
Subject: Re: Owens Corning Date: 1/29/2003 8:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi inquiringfool101,

Sorry about your Owens Corning. It seems to be one of the unfortunate companies that was a victim of (IMO) over zealous asbestos litigation.

Some of the trading could be related to the need of people who shorted the stock to repurchase to close out the position. They sold earlier with borrowed stock, now that have to buy back to replace it.

If the company has said that the old common is worthless, I guess if you can find a taker and you can get more than commissions, selling at least gets back some cash versus no cash.

I've had a couple of company's that went belly-up and what I did with them was got the stock certificate from the brokerage. It usually costs a small fee but then I have a reminder of the downside of stocks when things go wrong and who knows maybe someday the certificate will be a collectible.

ZB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement