UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: babyfrog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75801  
Subject: Re: Retirement planning Date: 9/29/2004 9:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Hi invest02,

How much of your total worth should be in your home?

You need a place to live. You will pay for that place to live, regardless of whether you own or rent. If you have a mortgage, you're paying the servicing costs on the mortgage. If you own the house free and clear, you're tying up cash that could otherwise be generating you income in the house. If you rent, you're paying the landlord's mortgage.

No matter what your situation, you're paying for your place to live, either via forgone income or directly via rent or interest payments.

So my answer to your question is "enough so that you're comfortable in your surroundings, but not so much that you are required to sacrifice your lifestyle and long term security on the alter of your dwelling."

Is it wise to sell & invest the money or hold the house?
There's something to be said for owning a house free and clear. If I owned my house free and clear, my monthly housing expenses would drop by about 2/3rds. I believe that over the long run, however, I will likely end up better off financially by keeping the mortgage and investing, rather than pre-paying the mortgage and retiring the debt sooner.

That being said, owning a house is a lifestyle unto itself. In addition to the mortgage and utilities payments, there's yardwork, inside maintenance, cleaning, appliance repair and replacement... All of which take some measure of both money and time. If I didn't own the house, they'd be someone else's problem. If I rented, the costs would be included in the rent, and the effort would be the landlord's.

It's a lifestyle question at least as much as a financial question, and only you can answer it for yourself.

I guess I'm wondering if housing prices will fall or continue to go up.
My crystal ball is on the fritz, sorry. Reports of a pending collapse in the housing market have been news for well over a year now, and you've seen how that has worked out. At the same time, house prices in relation to income is historically very high right now, and that might compress if long term interest rates start moving up.

Do you like the house? Do you like the neighborhood? Can you handle the upkeep? If you weren't living in that house, where would you live? In all seriousness, those questions are far more important to answer than what direction house prices will move in the near term.

Best of luck to you,
-Chuck
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement