Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eachna Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 681  
Subject: Re: Dilemma Date: 4/17/2002 5:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Hi Ishtar.

You'll recognize me from the CC board. I have some comments from your daughter's perspective.

I was raised without my father, also, in a situation that was nearly identical to yours (except he's on my BC).

I met my father for the first time when I was 16. It was another 8-10 years before we really developed a close relationship, even after that. I've talked to him *ALOT* about what you'd call his "side" of things -- why he wasn't around, how he felt when my mother contacted him, etc. At no point does he make any excuses for his behavior, but, he has mentioned that my mom approached him about money a few times over the years and talked about what it was like for him.

He wasn't financially stable at the time and didn't *have* any money to send (not that he could tell, anyway). He was like any number of people with poor financial skills that come to these boards -- he spent what he earned. By the time he *was* in financial shape, I was close to graduating high school, where it became "too little too late" to my mom.

Since my dad didn't have any spare money, was in a rotten personal situation, and knew that he and my mom couldn't have any sort of deeper relationship than wanting to throttle each other, he was pretty miserable about being approached for money. It may have been a "fair" request, but, it left him feeling really guilty and upset. (I'm sure there's folk out there thinking he deserved it).

I think anything that would feed that feeling is counter-productive to Chandra's benefit. From the way you've talked about her in the past, she's a smart kid. Some random time in the future when her dad wakes up, she'll only be smarter. *If* her dad is a walking waste of bio-mass, she'll figure that out on her own. If it's more that he's immature and not right for *you*, it's not fair to *her* to do things that might push him away even more.

I ended up closer to my dad than my mom, because my mom used my dad as a weapon against me. While, I don't think you're directly doing that, you could be heading down that slippery slope, and you want to be REALLY careful about that.

Write him letters. Tell him what a wonderful kid she is. But, leave out the "you're missing out" parts and the "here's how upset I felt about asking you for money" parts. Keep the letters to him *about* Chandra, and leave it at that. That's my personal opinion, anyway.

If it helps you feel better, write the really nasty and guilt-inducing letters and then set them aside, don't mail them. <heh>. I do that sometimes with people when I'm angry or hurt by their actions.

Gwen
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement