No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi! Janzy, I would take a different tack. The general idea would be to tranfer assets into the Roth at a rate that minimizes the annual tax impact. You can gradually move portions over each tax year without
strapping youself for cash. Once in the Roth you can
compound interest,dividends stock payouts etc. till you reach the magic age of 59 1/2, taxfree for ever.
What our fellow posters are overlooking, is if you let
it grow in the conventional IRA and transfer into Roth later on, your tax liability will be huge by the age of 59 1/2, assuming that the rate of growth in either IRA will be the same! If I'm off-base will somebody
critique. I'm retired and looking at an awesome tax
liability in withdrawing from a large R/O IRA.
- - Matthew
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement