UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: stevieoh Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 794  
Subject: Re: The DOW mini's Date: 8/3/2002 6:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi Jason! I had a sneeking suspicion that there was someone out there LOL.

To tell ya the truth, the ES chopped me up way too much. At $50 a point, it doesn't take long to lose $1k with only one contract. The manner in which the ES trade is still foreign to me and when it chops about all day, I found that I over traded and stopped out ALOT.

I will no longer be sitting at the computer all day every day as I have for the better part of the last two years so I plan on having looser stops yet still like the idea of the available leverage that futures offer.

A loose stop on the ES can litteraly kill ya where as a loose stop on a DOW mini offers 10x - 25x less pain - and thats the main thing to me now. On a trend day, one $2 DOW contract can easily make a nice little return while limiting the downside risk. A 50 point stop = a 1 point stop on the ES and at the moment, I think chances are better to get an entry within 50 dow points than they are to enter within 1 ES point. I really don't know if this is completely true yet, time will tell.

I had considered going with swing trading options but have felt that sting a few times too many. At least with futures, there is no time decay or volatilty concerns to screw ya.

Best to you!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement