Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi jefmaf

I'm no tax expert, but am also a US citizen abroad.

The US embassy or consulate general near you has an IRS person on staff who can answer this question.

One thing I can caution you about is to be careful that the money you use to fund the IRA comes from US earned income. I was told that foreign earned income can't be used to fund a deductible IRA.

Good luck!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.