Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi jgvoelling, the answer to your question is Yes, if you make enough of other, unearned income. The worksheet to find out is on Page 25 of your Form 1040 Instructions. If you are single, and you add up everything plus half of your SS income, and if that comes to more than $25,000, then some modest amount of your SS income will be taxed. It's $32,000 if you are Married Filing Jointly.

So, suppose you make a killing on Qualcomm and realize $100,000. You are above the limit and 85% of your SS is subject to tax. Suppose again that you are a rich geezer (I'm not trying to cast any aspersions, it's just an illustration) and you have $100,000 in income from tax-free municipal bonds. Again, that counts for taxability of your SS.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.