UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127464  
Subject: Re: Savings needed to buy? Date: 2/13/2003 12:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi jm,

I wonder the same thing - I bought our house in 1996, but if we were in the market today, there'd be no way on God's earth we could afford it - all things being equal in terms of income, etc.

You're making perhaps the MOST powerful argument for young folks actually buying TODAY, rather than waiting until some other planetary alignment occurs.

Economists fairly soberly are saying that the real estate boom APPEARS to be a much more stable and supported level of growth than business equities, and given the regional diversity is unlikely to retrace... They're also saying that the greatest levels of slowdown have already been seen (with some potential exceptions... SiliValley being one that's undecided.)

And . . . I'd refuse to take out a $200-250K mortgage like many people are doing. I'd rather pay rent - those mortgage amounts will hold you hostage forever.

If you're paying rent you're paying the LANDLORD'S interest... and I can guarantee you the landord's interest costs today are FAR lower than they were in 1996!

I don't envy buyers in this market. We hope to have our mortgage paid off in a few years, and won't go anywhere till we retire - I don't care how much our house is supposedly worth. We got a note from a local real estate agent the other day saying that "people were interested in our neighborhood" if we wanted to sell. My wife and I looked at each other and said, "and go WHERE? Trade up?" no way.
johnmoni

who still can't believe that someone would pay for our house what "they" say its worth.

jm... your last statement is what's fascinating because, from a market perspective, every day you're either a buyer or a seller (or, an owner or non-owner.)

If you believe that your real estate isn't worth buying at today's prices, market wisdom would say you're seeing your top, and you would be wise not to try to squeeze any more growth out of it.

Given the higher paragraph, this would support a decision to sell & move into a rental.

Instead, given my familiarity (however it is) of your preferences, I believe I sniff some sentiment from you that you ACTUALLY believe there is more likelihood of further appreciation, and you DO act as a buyer/owner today, rather than not... yes?

Cheers,
Dave Donhoff
National Mortgage Broker/Banker

(Just stirring up the contrarian brain cells!)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement