Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eurotrash01 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124995  
Subject: Re: Question: Propane LP Expert Needed Date: 3/20/2003 8:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Ken-

On my "2002 Individualized Income Tax Reporting Package and Instructions" sheet from Amerigas (operates nationally) it has the unhelpful item in the FAQ:

Q: Do I have to file tax returns in any state in which I do not live?

A: Certain states require unitholders to file tax returns in states in which the Partnership operates. You should consult your tax advisor regarding the need to file state tax returns.

Lot of help that was!

However an earlier FAQ item was:

Q: How is my basis effected by cash distributions and partnership net income?

A: The cash distributions you receive are a return of capital and decrease your basis in the partnership. At the end of the year your basis is increased by your share of the partnership's taxable income allocated on your Schedule K-1
(very small.)

Might this mean that since it is a return of capital, no state taxes are owed anywhere?

Thanks for the help.


Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.