Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFKMHinson Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20298  
Subject: Re: tough times for yield Date: 3/22/2013 12:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
hi KitKat...

Vitaliy Katsenelson wrote a little piece recently... it's light on specifics, but it does give some clues about where he looked for yield for a client. Here's a quote...

"A few months ago, a client asked if we could come up with a defensive stock portfolio that would yield more than 7%. In an environment in which the Federal Reserve has let loose a jihad on interest rates and carpet bombed anything even remotely resembling yield through its purchase of riskless (or near-riskless) instruments of all durations, I thought it was not doable.

"To my surprise, we have been able to identify a diversified portfolio of 20 stocks that meet the 7% hurdle. Half of the portfolio is in European (mostly multinational) stocks, a quarter is in Master Limited Partnerships, and the rest is in plain-vanilla US equities."

He went on to talk a little about Vodafone, which is one of the equities he actually purchased. The article was called "Dividends Get No Respect," and google should turn it up if you want more.

MLPs are definitely of interest to me, but I've always been scared off by the tax implications. The thought of having to file state tax returns in every state a pipeline runs through is horrifying, and I can't seem to figure out what the threshold for income is on a per state basis that would trigger that so I can factor that into position sizes if necessary. Anybody have any advice there?

Also, GBDs are pretty interesting right now and have monster yields and could actually benefit with rising interest rates, but would likely get crushed in a recession.

Best..
kevin
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement