UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (80) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308232  
Subject: Re: Changing cars (or not)? Date: 3/3/2008 7:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi, Lael. Yes, that kind of analysis is important.

There are several factors I think that go into which car first.

Next week DH is on vacation and is going to spend some of that time taking the cars around to Carmax and maybe some car dealers and get a feel for what we could sell the cars for or trade them in. Based on that we can get an idea of what we could realistically get for them and decide whether to sell to a dealer or trade or whether to sell privately. I've often had widely different offers in the past so won't know until we do it. If we got an offer somewhere that was really good and didn't require privately selling the car then that might be a factor.

On replacing DH's car we would want to do that at or before me replacing my car. That is because we need it not just for vacations but on a weekly basis whenever we have 6 in the car.

DH's cars is driven much less than the others.

The car the au pair drives our son to school in (Lexus) probably gets 35,000 miles put on it in a year (just last week the gas tank was filled 3 times). My car is probably more around 25,000.

I think that one factor that would decide the order is what we could find. DH is clear that he only wants to buy a used car from a car dealer than is a new car dealer...not someone who sells only used cars or from a private individual. There might be some flexibility in this but not much. I have some specific requirements that are safety related. For example, I would want a Chevrolet Suburban to have stability control and would want a Prius to have side airbags. So if I found a Camry that met the criteria but didn't find a Prius then I might buy a Camry first (or vice versa).

I have looked at the numbers and they seem to say that doing this (replacing the vehicles now rather than a couple of years from now) makes the most economic sense given the low rates of our debt at this point.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (80) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement