Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: branik Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193121  
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 7:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi Lee!

I'm redhed's daughter ... when she emailed me this AM saying someone wanted to know where I found the cheap airfare, I knew it was probably for the TMF. So, I did a quick search, and found your message. :) <Hi, Mom!>

Anyway, I don't know what city you're located in, but you can do way better than $800 to London right now. All the airfares are offerring great deals.

www.expedia.com has a fare on American for $295 from NYC to London, leaving March 7th & returning March 20th. Also, on the Expedia web site, after you enter your trip information, you'll see a banner ad at the top of the page that links to a fare sale with British Airways. Here are some sample fares that BA is offerring right now:

New York–London: $218
New York–Paris: $285
New York–Amsterdam: $283
Chicago–London: $278
Chicago–Paris: $345
Los Angeles–Paris: $435
Los Angeles–London: $368

I didn't pay close attention to the deadlines (I'm in a hurry) but believe you have to buy the tickets by the end of January. I think travel is valid until March 20 or something.

Expedia has a feature called Fare Watcher, where you enter your three favorite destinations and they email the fares to you once a week or so. Sydney is on my Fare Watcher, and right now it's $819 from LAX (my home city.)

I also hear Lufthansa is having a sale right now.

I also like www.travelocity.com, which also has an email fare watcher and that's how I found my $299 fare to Paris.

I also subscribe to Webmiles. Basically, a lot of different merchants (LL Bean, Wine.com, REI, Dell, etc ...) are partners with Webmiles, and everytime you spend a dollar, you earn a mile or two. The local supermarket in LA, Ralph's, is in the Webmiles program, so everytime I go grocery shopping and use my Ralph's card, I earn miles. I had enough miles to get a $100-off voucher, so I'm using that on this trip, and am only spending $250 on airfare. ($299 + taxes - voucher.) Damn, baby! *does the happy dance*

I also like www.smarterliving.com and subscribe to their email list.

As for train fare to Scotland, it looks like about 6-7 hours on the train ... a quick search on Rail Europe (www.raileurope.com) shows that London to Edinburgh, second class, is $121. However, if you are planning to travel to other destinations in Britain besides Scotland, it may be worth the money to buy a BritRail Pass. However the coach (bus) is cheaper - it takes 8 1/2 hours to go from London Victoria to Edinburgh, but only costs $36 one way ($53 RT.) www.britbus.com

You can get some really great travel tips & information on Lonely Planet's bulletin board, The Thorn Tree -http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com.

London as a whole is pretty expensive but you can do it on a shoestring budget. I really like the youth hostel in Holland Park, it's $20 a night, dorm-style rooms. However, I recommended it to a friend, and he complained that it was loud (hey, I'm deaf - what do I know???) Plus, all the museums - the V&A, the British Natural History, the Tate -- they're FREE! If you're going to be in London for 3 or more days it's worth the money to buy a Travelcard for the Tube -- I think it's 20 pounds for unlimited Tube travel for 4 days, or something like that.

If you are a teacher or a student you can qualify for a Council Travel membership, which is $18 a year and entitles you to the low Council Travel airfares & your Council Travel ID Card will give you the student discount with car rental companies, museums, hotels, etc ... www.counciltravel.com.

OK, that's all I can think of right now. This should get you started on finding a much better airfare.

Good luck and happy traveling!
Kathryn
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement