UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tanaquil Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Honest Question-Answer IMHO Date: 5/23/2001 10:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Mangard,

Others have given good advice when they say the best way to handle a person who is approaching home ownership unrealistically is to gently & objectively give that person all the unpleasant facts!

FWIW, though, my perspective is a little different. I think people shouldn't totally rule out the idea of buying while still paying off debt. When I finally got a tenure track job 3 years ago, I thought I would have to pay off all my 13K credit card debt before even thinking about buying a home. I didn't manage the repayment plan very well (only saw the true Fool light six months ago!) so I still have just under 10K in debt and only 3K in the bank, but I am closing on a house come June if all goes smoothly.

As it turns out this is the best possible time for me to be buying, so I'm not too upset that I didn't buy sooner (except for the fact that real estate in this area has appreciated some 50% in the last 3 years!). But I really could have started thinking about it much sooner. I am happy that I took my brother in law's advice to go ahead & talk with a realtor about my options instead of waiting another 3 years (which is how long it will take to pay off my debt).

In my case, I have always kept current with all payments & have good credit, and I've finally learned how to budget properly and LBMM, so I think I am in good shape. (I'll tell you in 6 months if this was a terrible idea or not!) Also, I have all my debt at rates from 4-7%, so carrying the debt while paying on a mortgage is not such a burden. I hope I will be able to maintain my discipline as a homeowner.

I would encourage anyone who has debt but wants a home to do some serious research & number crunching -- it might just be more doable than you think.

Tanaquil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement